In this article, you will learn how to find IP address of website or server (Mac, WIndows and Linux)
IP addresses basically provide info regarding the location of your device on the internet.
Every computational device on this network uses a unique number, necessary to send messages to computers that are present outside your local network.
Every website on the internet has one or more IP (Internal Protocol) addresses assigned to it. You may not be concerned with the IP address of any random website, but it is crucial to know the IP address of your own website.
Website IP address can be beneficial to:-
- Divert website-blocking applications
- Block specific sites
- Finding the geographic location of a web server
Finding IP address of website can be a difficult task for people who have less technical knowledge.
But don’t worry, in this article, we will be discussing various ways of website IP lookup.
Following are the 3 ways you can check website IP address:
- Check your Welcome Mail: IP address of the server is typically mentioned in the welcome email by the company.
- Use Ping Command: You can ping the webserver with the CLI, and find the webserver
- Global DNS Checker for IP Lookup: Use Global DNS checker tool online.
1. Check your Welcome Mail
The IP address of your domain or server is mentioned in the welcome mail sent by your hosting company.
If you are not able to find the domain to ip, proceed to the steps mentioned below. You can also raise a support ticket regarding the same.
2. Using Ping Command (CMD)
You can also use the command line to find ip address of website.
a. Follow the steps below to open a command line in Linux:-
Press Ctrl+Alt+T to open CLI
b. 3 ways to open the command line in Windows:-
- Press Windows+R – type cmd and enter to open CLI
- Tap the search button on the taskbar, type cmd and select Command Prompt on the top.
- Right-click the bottom-left corner to open the menu, and then select Command Prompt on it.
c. 3 ways to open the command line in Mac:-
- Go to launchpad << Others folder << Double click on the Terminal icon
- Go to the Applications Folder << Utilities << Double click on the Terminal icon
- Click on the spotlight icon << Type Terminal << Double click on the Terminal icon
After accessing your command line, you can use the ping command to find the IP address of a website.
- At the prompt, type in ping and leave a single space, then type in your website’s address (including the “www.” part).
- For example- ping www.serverguy.com
- Press Enter
In Windows, you can find the IP address of a website using tracert command.
- At the prompt, type in tracert and leave a single space, then type in your website’s address (excluding the “www.” part).
- For example- tracert www.serverguy.com
- Press Enter
3. Use a Global DNS checker for website IP lookup
- Go to DNSChecker or Website to IP checker
- In the Domain field, enter your domain name.
- In the Record Type list, select A.
- Click Search.
You can also visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/hostname-ip to check the IP address of your domain.
How to find the IP address of a website on Mac?
- Click on the spotlight icon
- Type Network Utility
- Double click on the Network Utility
- Tap Traceroute
- Enter your website address
- Click on Trace
You will get to know your domain IP.
Find IP Address of Website Server Infographics
We hope you find these tips useful.
If you would like any other help, you can contact us or just leave a comment below. We will definitely get back to you.