With Magento End of Life, there is no official support of Magento 1.x now.
Now you have to look for external support for your Magento 1 store, or upgrade the store to Magento 2.
Moreover, you are not alone in the line of moving from magento 1 to magento 2. Nearly 250,00 sites use Magento, but only 11,000 of them run on Magento 2.
In this article, I will share with you some quick steps through which you can easily migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2 using the Magento 2 data migration tool.
Why Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2?
The answer is simple. You want to stay updated, not outdated.
- Magento has stopped introducing any updates in its Magento 1 version.
- All the changes done in Magento 1 have to be repeated in Magento 2 version, whenever you choose to upgrade.
- Magento 2 provides better results, improved site performance, and drive differentiated omnichannel commerce experience.
Must Read: Magento 2.3 Out Now! Explore New Features and Functions
What should be kept in mind before Magento Migration?
Before you upgrade Magento 1 to Magento 2, here are some essential aspects to consider:
- Review and analyze what needs to be kept or removed from the new Magento 2 website.
- Make sure you have a full backup of your Magento 1 store and the required database, files, and folders.
- Avoid using the live store for the migration process. Transfer the data from the cloned database of the Magento 1 store.
- Check if your current extensions, custom code, and themes are compatible with the Magento 2.
You may like: Speed up Magento 2: 15 Proven Practices for Every Store Owner
Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2 in 4 Easy Steps
- Theme Migration to New Store
- Migrating Extension to Magento 2
- Customizations Migration using Code Migration Tool
- Magento 2 Data Migration using Data Migration Tool
Step 1: Theme Migration
- To upgrade Magento 1 theme to Magneto 2, you have to check if Magento 1 theme is compatible with Magento 2 version or not.
- If Yes, then you can install the same theme in Magento 2. This will make the process of migration a lot easier for you.
- If No, then you can either create a custom theme in Magento 2 or buy and install a Magento 2 theme from Magento Marketplace.
Step 2: Magento 2 Extension Migration
- Again, you have to check if Magento 1 extensions are compatible with Magento 2 version or not.
- If yes, then you can integrate the same extensions in Magento 2.
- If No, then you have to add new extensions with similar functions, after moving to Magento 2.
Step 3: Customization Using Code Migration Tool
- Magento 2 customization can be done using a Code Migration Tool.
- It can enormously lessen the work involved in the code migration.
- However, after running the toolkit, you may have to edit some of the generated files manually.
Step 4: Data Migration Using Data Migration Tool
The last step is to migrate data from Magento 1.x to Magento 2. You can use Magento 2 Data Migration Tool for a smooth migration. With the help of this tool, you can migrate critical data such as products, orders, categories, store settings & configurations, etc. to Magento 2.
Here’s a step-wise guide to data migration:
4.1. Install Data Migration Tool via Composer
1. Before installing this tool, make sure the version of both – Data Migration tool and Magento 2 are precisely the same. For example, if you are using Magento v2.1.1, you must install the Data Migration Tool v2.1.1.
Similarly, install Data Migration Tool v2.3.4 works for Magento 2.3.4. (LATEST MAGENTO VERSION)
Don’t know your Magento version?
Navigate to the root directory of your Magento 2 via SSH terminal and enter this command:
php bin/magento --version
2. Now that you know the version of your Magento 2 store installs the Data Migration Tool.
Note: Update the location of the Data Migration Tool package in the composer.json file in the Magento 2 root directory. To do this, run this command:
composer config repositories:magento composer https://repo.magento.com composer require magento/data-migration-tool:<version>
Here, <version> is your Data Migration Tool version. For example, for the Data Migration tool for Magento v2.1.1. You will have to replace <version> with 2.1.1
composer require magento/data-migration-tool:2.1.1
3. Enter your authentication keys
Go to Magento Marketplace > Sign in > Click on My Access Keys
If you already have keys, the public key is your username and the private key is your password. Else, you can create a new key pair. Click on “Create a New Access Key Button.”
You May Like: A Complete Guide: How to Install Magento 2 & Verify Installation?
4.2. Configure Data Migration Tool
After completing the installation, you will find the following directories to contain mapping and configuration files for the Data Migration Tool:
<Magento 2 root dir>/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ee
This includes configuration and scripts for migrating from Magento 1 Community Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition.
For Magento 1 Enterprise Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition, use this command:
<Magento 2 root dir>/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ee-to-ee
Note: Before migration of any data and settings to Magento 2, create a config.xml file in the relevant directory.
<source> <database host=“localhost” name=“Magento1-DB-name” user=“DB-username” password=“DB-password” /> </source> <destination> <database host=“localhost” name=”Magento2-DB-name” user=“DB-username” password=“DB-password” /> </destination> </options>
<source> : has Magento 1’s database information <destination> : has relevant information of Magento 2 <crypt_key> : encryption key of Magento 1 which can be found inin <key> tag for <Magento 1 rootdir>/app/etc/local.xml file.
Lastly, save config.xml file.
4.3. Migrate Settings
Use the Data Migration Tool to migrate settings from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
This includes websites, stores, system configurations like tax settings, payment, shipping, etc.
You should migrate the setting first. To start with that, navigate to your Magento 2 root directory via SSH terminal and run this command:
php bin/magento migrate:settings --reset <path to your config.xml>
Where <path to your config.xml> is vendor/Magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ee/<Magento 1.x version>/config.xml.
Upon successful moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2, a message will be displayed.
Must Read: Magento 1 vs. Magento 2: Top 6 Differences You Must Know
4.4. Migrate Data
To migrate products, orders, wish lists, customers, categories, ratings, etc. follow this command:
php bin/magento migration:data --reset <path to your config.xml>
If everything is done properly, you have to setup the Magento store after migration. If in case, there’s an error during the migration, refer Magento’s Troubleshooting page.
Wrapping it up
After the migration has been done, run a test to ensure the proper functioning of Magento 2.
I hope this post helps you to migrate Magento website. Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is not easy, as it involves a lot of manual tasks.
For hassle-free and safe migration, you can hire experts to get your job done. After that, you an use an eCommerce testing service to evaluate or site.
Enquire now and join 1000+ businesses who have blitzscaled their websites by choosing ServerGuy as their hosting partner.
13 thoughts on “How to Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2? (4 Easy Steps)”
Really very great and easy guide about Magento 2 Migration….This guide was helpful for many store owners
Wow really great guide about migration
Great work. Very useful to me also everyone who needs to Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2. Thank you. Keep sharing.
Great Work! Easily understand the steps you describe for Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2.
Very helpful blog for those who need to migrate their store.
The excellent blog covers all the aspects that one should need to know before migrating from Magento 1 to the latest version of Magento. To avail, the extra features and updates of Magento sellers need to migrate to Magento 2 from Magento 1 before Magento 1 support ends.
This blog incredibly covers all the aspects that one should think before migrating from Magento to Magento 2. I appreciate how you have covered all the important aspects of the migration process.
Where is the web based migration tool? You have an image of what looks to be a web page showing all the steps.
Hi, you can easily use an automated migration tool, like Cart2Cart, for example. It helped me a lot when I was transferring data to a new store.
Can we migrate from 188.8.131.52 straight to 2? or do we need to get to the latest of version 1 first then jump to 2? Thanks.
Thankfulness to my father who informed me on the topic of this blog,
this website is genuinely remarkable.
Great Guide!! I have done successfully Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration.
Can you share step by step guide for code migration ?
Please find m1-to-m2-migration to get roadmap.