With websites comes responsibility. With e-commerce websites comes great responsibility.
Magento is one of the most popular E-commerce CMS used by over 2.5 lakh websites. That is quite a large segment which makes it a good choice for store owners but at the same time this makes it one of the CMS that is most prone to attacks by hackers.
The impacts of a hacked Magento website are disastrous. A few ways by which a hacked Magento store will affect you:
- Loss of revenue on immediate basis: The users who encounter a security warning or malware on your Magento store will never place an order. NEVER! Imagine yourself as an online shopper who goes on a site to buy clothes and finds a malware warning message on the site. Will you have the confidence to go ahead with the purchase? NO, NEVER!
- Credibility loss in the long run: A user that visited your Magento website during the time it was hacked or infected with malware will always have that thing on the back of his/her mind. This results in the credibility loss in the long run and thus reduces any future business from the same user.
- SEO Penalty: What if I told you that you could lose all the hard work you have put in to gain that SEO ranking in minutes? What if I told you that after a blacklist it could take you months to regain your position on these SERPs? What if I told you that a Google Blacklist has the potential to kill almost 90%, if not more, of the organic traffic to your website? Yes, all of this is TRUE!
We are approached by many new E-commerce businesses with such security issues on daily basis. A few examples are given below to give you an idea of the things without disclosing the exact store name for privacy reasons.
- We were approached by this large women clothing brand when their website started showing ‘This website may be hacked’ in Google search results. It was a known Magento security loophole that we fixed in under 12 hours. And going forward, we helped them save their monthly recurring Magento hosting bill by more than $750/mo! Too good to believe? Yes, we know!
- Another client had a credit card hijack vulnerability by which the hacker added an extra section on checkout page where he could capture all the details of the credit cards entered by the users. This took us a little less than 6 hours to get rid of! Later, we gave them a completely new and better architecture that made their Magento store more stable, fast and secure from these loopholes.
Magento is no easy open source CMS. Although we’re very skilled in Magento hosting, making them fast and keeping conversion high, we’re not Magento developers. Luckily, we know a few of the agencies that do know a lot about how Magento works. If you need help, don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or call us at +91-7827655655.