AWS t1.micro to t2.micro migration could be a challenge.
And more when you are a beginner.
Must Read: AWS Migration in 5 Super Easy Steps
Why Is It Not Easy To Migrate From t1.micro to t2.micro?
Normally, we launch a new instance from AMI. This AMI is created from the snapshot which is taken from the existing instance. Thereafter, the migration part is done smoothing.
However, the process is not the same with different virtualization types.
- T1.micro: Paravirtualization or PV
- T2.micro: Hardware Virtual Machine or HVM
Therefore, before we begin to the migration steps, here are the prerequisites:
- You need to be a root user to execute the commands. Use “: sudo su.”
- Make sure they are in the same availability zone. Mixing the availability zone increases the workload.
Looking for Managed AWS?
T1.Micro to T2.Micro Migration: Steps
Now that you are armed, here’s a step-by-step method for upgrading an Ubuntu PV t1.micro instance:
1.Start Ubuntu PV machine with AMI of existing PV t1.micro instance.
2. Spin a new HVM instance.
3. Install Grub packages
Apt-get install grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub-legacy-ec2 grub-gfxpayload-lists
4. Shut down PV Linux.
5. Detach: Root partition of PV – sda1
6. On running HVM, attach PV sda1 in the name of sdf
7. On HVM – Make directory
mkdir -p /mnt/xvdf && mount /dev/xvdf /mnt/xvdf
8. Resync – Copy data from HVM sda to sdf : rsync -avzXA /boot/ /mnt/xvdf/boot/
9. Mount data
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/xvdf/dev && mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/xvdf/dev/pts && mount -o bind /proc /mnt/xvdf/proc && mount -o bind /sys /mnt/xvdf/sys
10. Chroot /mnt/xvdf
You May Also Like: DigitalOcean vs AWS EC2
11. Install Grub
grub-install –no-floppy –recheck –force /dev/xvdf
12. Update Grub : update-grub2
13. Exit chroot: CTRL+D
14. Stop HVM
15. Detach both EBS (/dev/sda and /dev/sdf)
16. Attach dev/sdf as HVM dev/sda
17. Run HVM Linux on t2.micro
18. Now you can create an image on t2.micro which will now be HVM.
Services we offer:
- Managed Magento Hosting on Cloud.
- Managed WordPress Hosting for Growing Business.
- AWS Management | AWS Consulting Partners
- Managed DigitalOcean Cloud Hosting
- Managed Cloud Server India
- Dedicated Server India
Still having trouble in migration? Talk to our experts to ease that load.